I normally don’t care about kickstarter stuff. But this one I’m going to have to open the wallet to and chip in something towards. Anyone who grew up in the 16 bit era should recognize the name (though worded slightly different due to whoever owns the rights to the old game) It is one of my all time favorite games and many other peoples as well. Reblog, contribute, whatever. Get the word out for this game to get funded in the next 11 days. It will be worth it.
So I know I’m a little late to the party what with GTA5 right around the corner but I finally got a little hands on time with Saints Row 4 and here are my first impressions.
- Super Powers: While fun to mess around with for a little while I found them to be more of a detriment to game than a strength.
- Great lead villain but atrociously dull and generic baddies…in fact aside from the super powers making this not feel like a Saints game the lack of enemy gangs and such is one of the most upsetting things about the game.
- Soundtrack is the worst of the series yet….sure there are some great sequences with cheesy or ironically fitting songs used but the radio stations are awful….granted they’ve never been great in the series but at least in past games I had one go to station which I don’t have here at all.
- Steelport….sort of. The Matrix-y simulation of Steelport just doesn’t cut it for me.
- Amusing writing with lots of great nods to genre tropes and series….hell I was in love with this part of the game when one of the alternate pistol skins had a tag line about “aiming to misbehave”.
All in all Saints isn’t a bad game but it also is missing a lot of what I loved about 2 and 3….I’m going to keep chipping away at it for another day or so and maybe pick it up post generation switch when all current gen games start dropping prices.
I didn’t have high hopes for it when I saw the way the early info on the game and am I ever glad I didn’t preorder it like I did the last one but its worth a look.